Theses and Dissertations

Submitting Your Thesis or Dissertation Electronically

USU Libraries is committed to the preservation and open access publication of USU theses and dissertations. As part of this commitment, USU requires that all final theses and dissertations be submitted electronically to Digital Commons, USU's institutional repository (IR).

Doctoral/Master’s Plan A

  1. Complete the Thesis/Dissertation Format and Style (F&S) form on the SGS website.
  2. After your thesis/dissertation is reviewed by the SGS, they will send the final approved copy to the Library. (See the SGS website for their requirements.)
  3. The Library will check you have met their deposit requirements (if you have an embargo, see that section below.) They will then send an email to notify you and the SGS that all degree requirements have been met.

Master’s Plan B

  1. After you have successfully defended your Plan B, and your committee has approved the final version of your report/creative project, upload your Plan B to Digital Commons.
  2. Click on the “Submit Research” link in the sidebar on the left at
  3. Login or create an account.
  4. Read and accept the Submission Agreement if you agree.
  5. Fill in the fields according to the instructions for each one. Watch the video below for more details.
  6. Once you have uploaded and submitted your Plan B to Digital Commons, your submission will be approved by your advisor and the Library, and published online. Then the Library will send an email to notify you and the School of Graduate Studies that all degree requirements have been met.

Master’s Plan C

The degree requirements for Plan C Master’s do not require you to submit your work. However, If you would like your work to appear in DigitalCommons@USU, please follow the same steps as Master’s Plan B.

Embargo Process

If you choose to embargo your thesis or dissertation, a physical copy will need to be deposited with the library. To start this process, please submit the Embargo Form. An appointment is required to give the physical copy to the library. You will receive an email from when it is time for you to make an appointment. If you are unsure whether or not you should request an embargo, please talk with your advisor.

Requesting Changes to Your Thesis or Dissertation

Upon final deposit in the IR, your thesis/dissertation becomes part of the your official academic record. No changes can be made once it has been approved by the School of Graduate Studies (SGS).

However, students may request to include an addendum to the completed document. This requires the support of the thesis/dissertation chair and written approval from the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies. The author must submit a written request to the SGS including the proposed addendum and a letter of support from the dissertation chair. The SGS will forward the addendum and approval to the library, which will be added to the record in the IR.

Personal Bound Copies

USU no longer requires bound versions of theses and dissertations, except in cases of embargo. However, you can order a bound personal copy of your thesis or dissertation for $20.00 plus $4.00 for each cover pocket as needed. To request a binding, please bring your thesis or dissertation to the Circulation Desk. For more information, please contact (435) 797-2601.

Searching for Theses and Dissertations

Search Digital Commons to find a USU thesis or dissertation. For other theses and dissertation, see our list of additional theses and dissertation resources.