Using and Visiting Special Collections
- SCA staff are available via chat Monday through Friday 10:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for general inquiries at any time.
- Contact a curator directly for specialized assistance.
Using the Reading Room
Location and Registration
If you are visiting in person for a scheduled appointment, SCA is located on the lower level of the Merrill-Cazier Library in Room 035. Please check the main building hours page for closings or limited hours. Visit http://www.usu.edu/map/ for a campus map.
SCA operates under a closed-stack environment and as such patrons must use materials in the Tanner Reading Room and materials may not be checked out. First time users must complete a Registration Agreement (good for 5 years) and provide a picture ID each time they use materials. Users must agree to the Reading Room Rules.
Reading Room Rules
- In order to protect staff and patrons, visitors to Special Collections and Archives must wear a face covering or mask for the entire time spent in the Reading Room.
- Staff will assign patrons to a seat in the Reading Room.
- Notes should be taken on laptops, tablets, or loose paper. Staff will provide paper for notetaking.
- Staff will check laptops, electronic tablets, and notes before patrons leave the reading room.
- Only pencil is allowed for note taking. No pens are allowed.
- When working with foldered materials, only one folder may be removed from the box at a time. Preserve the existing order of any unbound materials
- No food, candy, gum, or beverages
- Patron photography of materials is typically allowed, but cannot be done without prior approval from staff.
- You will be asked to show your ID each time you visit Special Collections and Archives to use materials.
Loose/Bound Paper Items
|A single folder/item (no page limit)||Free|
|Multiple folders/items||Pages 1-100: Free|
|Pages 101-500: $0.50/page|
|More than 500 pages: An estimate will be provided based on staff time, format and the equipment required|
|Large format items (e.g. maps and architectural drawings)
||5 items or fewer: Free|
|More than 5 items: $5.00 setup fee +$2.00/scan|
|Number of Photographs||Cost|
|5 or fewer||Free|
|More than 20||An estimate will be provided based on format and the equipment required|
Audio and Video
Audiovisual materials will be digitized at no-cost but will take at least 4 weeks for processing.
Digital File Retrieval
While we have previously charged a fee for retrieving files of previously digitized materials, we are currently waiving this fee.
Digitization in the Special Collections Reading Room
Patrons can digitize materials during Reading Room appointments using personal photographic equipment with no flash, including camera phones and digital cameras (for personal use only; copyright and use restrictions may apply). The Reading Room overhead scanner is currently reserved for staff use only.