Feedback
Home \ News & Events \ Spot Light

News & Events

April Digital Exhibit Spotlight: Brigham Young College

April Digital Exhibit Spotlight: Brigham Young College

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) chartered Brigham Young College (BYC) on August 6, 1877. Classes first met on September 9, 1878 in a rented space inside Lindquist Hall on the corner of 200 North and 100 East in Logan. The school later moved into the basement of the Logan LDS Tabernacle from 1882 until 1884 when the Board of Trustees approved construction of a permanent home for the college at the corner of 100 West and 100 South in Logan. Initially, BYC offered four years of high school and, later, four years of baccalaureate education. In 1909 the LDS Church Board of Education eliminated much of the upper division coursework and some of the high school levels were eliminated soon thereafter. In 1926, with a growing focus on seminaries as the way to provide LDS education, the Church Board of Education voted to close BYC along with all other Church-affiliated high schools.  

BYC’s final commencement took place on May 23, 1926. Afterwards, much of the college’s equipment and library materials were sold at a nominal price or donated to the Utah Agricultural College (now Utah State University) while the campus itself became the home of the Logan Senior High School, where it continues to operate today.

This digital exhibit tells the story of Brigham Young College and highlights some of the materials about the college that are held by Utah State University's Special Collections & Archives.